Brooklyn Fit Chick Vlog Episode 21
The Latest Brooklyn Fit Chick Vlog Episode 21: Polar Watches, ECA NY Conference, NASM eLearning,
My “Top Seven Paleo Books” Picks Plus
It Starts with Food Book Giveaway!
Hey there! Hi there! Ho there!
I am very excited to present this week’s Vlog and my latest book giveaway as I was inspired by my Blogger bud Keri of Fit Views Blog who helped me get into the Paleo lifestyle in the first place. Keri recently picked her “Top 5 Paleo Cookbooks” which inspired me to do my own list of my favorite Paleo tomes that I have leaned on and been inspired by these last few months. But I am getting ahead of myself—let’s start with what is on the Vlog today…
Episode 21 of the Brooklyn Fit Chick Vlog Notes:
• Polar Watches: A big THANK YOU to Polar watches for finally either fixing or just replacing my FT60 as the light never worked properly and now it is perfect. Yay to good customer service!
• ECA NY: I am going to attend this year’s ECA NY from February 7th – 10th whoo hoo! Here are the details—please let me know if you plan to be there as well. ECA New York Conference Feb 7-14
• NASM eLearning: One of the proudest moments of my life was when I passed the notoriously tough NASM exam on my first try people! Being the lucky gal I am—they asked me to try out their eLearning workshop “Weight Loss Specialist” which I am about halfway through now. (Thank you NASM!) I plan to write more about it this week but in the meantime—check it out for yourself here: NASM “Weight Loss Specialist”
• My “Top 7 Paleo Books” List plus My Latest Giveaway—It Starts with Food. I talk about my favorite Paleo books of the last year with many, it turns out, from the catalog of book publisher Victory Belt Victory Belt publishers. If you are either a newbie to Paleo looking for information or just someone looking for healthy, clean recipes to add to your meal plan—check out my suggestions in the Vlog below.
More Information on My “Top 7 Paleo Books”:
• Robb Wolf Paleo Solutions
: For me it all began with Robb’s book which I followed nonstop during my first month of eating completely clean (Whole 30) and I can honestly say I have not felt this good in years. Robb is a no nonsense kind of guy who also has a popular podcast that I quite enjoy—The Paleo Solution Podcast. In the clip I mention I followed his book’s meal plan 80% of the time but I want you to know I was strictly Paleo the Whole 30 Days! I just made some slight adjustments with ingredients as there are certain things I do not eat (salmon and anchovies for example.) Check out all of Robb’s work here at his official web site: Robb Wolf
• Diane Sanfillipo Practical Paleo: I just adore this book and the recipes here are to die for. She offers sound advice plus handy pull-out sheets to keep on your fridge and keep you on track. The Spaghetti Squash Bolognese recipe is divine! Be sure to check out her Blog Balanced Bites as well Balanced Bites
• Dr. William Davis Wheat Belly: I can’t pretend to you all that I understand every single word in this book (the medical stuff goes over my head sometimes) but I was impressed with Wheat Belly. You can check out his Dr. Davis’ Blog here Wheat Belly Blog
• Melissa Joulwann Well Fed: Oh my—the recipes here are so yummy and good here. This one I have on my Kindle but might have to buy a hard copy as well to keep in my kitchen library. Melissa’s Blog is called “The Clothes Make the Girl” Melissa Joulwann Blog
• Tammy Credicott Paleo Indulgences: Over the holidays I went a little baking-happy and made quite a few yummy treats from this book. Tammy’s Blog is called “The Healthy Gluten-Free Life” Tammy Crdicott Blog
• Amelia Simons: Paleolithic Slow Cooker Soups & Stews: Wow! I just got this cookbook on my Kindle and as I am typing this out there is an Italian Soup cooking in my slow cooker and making me crazy. Seriously, I might just have to turn it on “High” so I can have it sooner! Amelia’s books are featured at: Amelia Simons Amazon.com page
• Dallas & Melissa Hartwig It Starts with Food: I had this book as a giveaway back in November and it was so damn popular I had to bring it back. This is one of those “Paleo Bibles” I think everyone interested in the lifestyle plan should read. Check out the details of the book below and how to win your own copy right below…
It Starts with Food
Discover the Whole30® and Change Your Life in Unexpected Ways
by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig
Dallas and Melissa Hartwig, the popular health and nutrition bloggers famous for their tough love, have helped tens of thousands of people develop a healthier relationship with food through their underground Whole30® program. Now, their program has gone mainstream with the release of their first book, It Starts with Food: Discover the Whole30 and Change Your Life in Unexpected Ways (Victory Belt Publishing, $26.95).
It Starts with Food outlines a clear, balanced, sustainable plan to permanently change the way people eat, and transform their lives in profound and unexpected ways. “Our recommendations are based around the framework of a Paleo diet, but it’s not about history…it’s about health in today’s modern food landscape,” explains author, Certified Sports Nutritionist and Whole30 co-founder, Melissa Hartwig. “Our program achieves amazing results in just 30 days by giving readers a clear and simple plan focused on eating nutrient-dense, fast food, 100-calorie pack, eat-on-the-fly era, our book introduces a new perspective for how people approach each mealtime.”
Through their program, thousands of people have reported the astounding elimination of a variety of symptoms related to lifestyle-related conditions like diabetes, obesity, high cholesterol and fatty liver disease; autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, Crohn’s and celiac disease, and psychological conditions like bipolar disorder, depression, and ADHD.
The Hartwigs detail not just the “how” of their Whole30 program in their new book, but also the all-important “why.” It Starts with Food reveals how specific foods may have a negative impact on how people look, feel, and live—in ways that many never associate with their diets. They address psychological attachments to unhealthy foods, and offer a strategy for banishing unhealthy cravings, habits, and patterns.’
The capstone of the program is their powerful nutritional reset—the Whole30—designed to support the immune system, heal the gut, and restore a healthy metabolism.
The end result is a balanced, sustainable way of eating that promotes a healthier relationship with food, optimal health, and radically improved quality of life.
Co-author Dallas Hartwig, a licensed physical therapist and certified sports nutritionist, agrees, saying, “Food can change your life, and It Starts with Food will show you how.”
About the Authors
Dallas Hartwig earned a BS in anatomy and physiology and an MS in physical therapy from Andrews University and has been a licensed physical therapist since 2001. He co-owned and operated a strength and conditioning facility with Melissa until founding Whole9 in 2009. He is a Certified Sports Nutritionist through the International Society of Sports Nutrition and an RKC-certified kettlebell instructor.
Melissa Hartwig is a Certified Sports Nutritionist through the International Society of Sports Nutrition, an RKC-certified kettlebell instructor, and a current candidate for a master’s of science in health and nutrition education at Hawthorn University. She co-owned and operated a strength and conditioning facility with Dallas until founding Whole9 with him in 2009.
If you are interested in getting a copy of It Starts With Food (Continental U.S. only please!) you need to do the following three things:
• Post a comment on my Blog below.
• Sign up for my You Tube channel (if you have not done so already!)
• Tweet out your interest in this giveaway to all three Twitter handles I have listed here: @BrooklynFitChik, @VicotryBeltInc and @Whole9Life
I will randomly pick a winner next Monday, February 4th at Noon (Eastern) and contact them directly. Good luck!!
Brooklyn Fit Chick
Follow me on Twitter: “BrooklynFitChik” (note the spelling!)
Friend me on Facebook: “Brooklyn FitChick
You Tube: BrooklynFitChick1