Brooklyn Fit Chick Vlog Episode 31: Body Image, @NASM, Cavegirl Confections & @kristinekidd Giveaway @CG_confections 12
Brooklyn Fit Chick Vlog Episode 31
Featuring: NASM Weight Loss Specialist Test, Cavegirl Confections and Kristine Kidd Cookbook Giveaway
Hey there! Hi there! Ho there!
So is it spring yet? I don’t mean to sound like a cry baby but I am getting pretty damn sick and tired of this cold weather. Can we please get some warm rays on the East Coast? Honestly, I have been wearing the same damn parka every day since Thanksgiving and cannot take it anymore! Okay—done complaining.
Now—on to my Vlog post this week. Just a word of warning–I start with kind of a bummer message but it gets much better as I get into it. You will see for yourself..
Featured on my Vlog this week:
- I (finally) took the NASM Weight Loss Specialist exam and will give you a preview of my review of the program (is that a decent sentence or should I have started over?)
- My friend Claudette’s new company Cavegirl Confections which features the yummiest gluten-free Paleo treats on the market. In particular I recommend the Cherry Pie Bites, the chocolate hazelnut granola, and the yummiest almond butter I have ever eaten in my life (which is truly saying something.) Claudette is a pastry trained chef who makes every order by hand and all of her products are gluten-free, grain-free and dairy-free. You can read more about her brand on my friend Shanna’s Blog Pineapple and Coconut.
- The incredible, funny, smart and talented Julie Klausner has a podcast that I adore called How Was Your Week and you need to add this to your podcasts “must listen” list right away. If I am no enough to convince you—try this article from the New York Times.
- My Kristine Kidd cookbook giveaway Weeknight Gluten Free and Weeknight Fresh & Fast which is a part of her partnership with Williams Sonoma. Kidd was the food editor for Bon Appétit magazine for over 20 years and she certainly knows a thing or two about creating delicious recipes. You can follow her Blog here.
Now let’s check out today’s Vlog post!
Here is more information the Kristine Kidd cookbooks:
WEEKNIGHT FRESH & FAST
Simple, Healthy Meals for Every Night of the Week
By Kristine Kidd
If you’re as busy as author Kristine Kidd, the daily “What’s for dinner tonight?” question can be daunting. In Weeknight Fresh & Fast, the former Bon Appétit editor’s latest book, Kidd shows readers how effortless it is to make flavorful and nutritious meals from scratch – even with a busy schedule. Weeknight Fresh & Fast features more than 100 delicious and beautifully photographed dinner ideas, inspired and organized by seasonal offerings.
Using fresh produce as the foundation, Kidd transforms just picked ingredients into delicious dishes: A lemony sauté of chicken cutlets, asparagus, and sugar snaps is perfect in the springtime; quickly grilled lamb chops with chunky peach salsa make the most of summer’s abundance; a comforting risotto with earthy vegetables and creamy blue cheese is a creative way to highlight fall’s bounty; juicy roasted salmon topped with tangy grapefruit and avocado relish makes the most of winter’s citrus.
Chapters open with advice about the fresh ingredients and cooking methods best suited to the time of year. Also included are ideas for quick vegetable sides and fruit desserts, as well as advice on stocking the pantry. Clever tips throughout Weeknight Fresh & Fast offer enticing ways to round out meals, customize recipes to personal tastes, menu-planning strategies, and helpful ideas for turning leftovers into new suppers later in the week.
Weeknight Fresh & Fast illustrates that there is enough time in the day to prepare food that is healthy, does not take a lot of time, nor require a lot of preparation or clean-up. It offers far better choices than eating takeout or hitting the drive-thru and helps readers put a delicious, wholesome meal on the table night after night. With this solution-packed title on the book shelf, busy people will have a reliable road map for eating well every night, no matter what the day brings.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: As the food editor of Bon Appétit magazine for more than 20 years, Kristine Kidd was responsible for filling its pages with delicious recipes and keeping her devoted readership up to date with evolving food trends. Based in Los Angeles, Kidd has written five cookbooks and is regularly sought out as an expert on home cooking.
Williams-Sonoma Weeknight Gluten Free
Simple, Healthy Meals for Every Night of the Week
By Kristine Kidd
Latest surveys show that one third of adults are interested in avoiding or cutting back on gluten in their diets. Major publications such as The New York Times and The Huffington Post are responding with articles and recipes aimed at embracing the gluten-free lifestyle. Even superstar chefs like Thomas Keller are customizing their menus with a nod towards the benefits of cooking without gluten. Leading the trend, bestselling food writer and editor Kristine Kidd and Williams-Sonoma have teamed up to bring you gluten-free recipes that add to your health without sacrificing the flavors you love.
Emphasizing quick, flavor-packed meals, Kristine transforms easy-to-find fresh ingredients into dishes like grilled wild salmon fillets atop satisfying chickpeas enhanced with Moroccan spices; seared steak and peppers simmered in a creamy sauce and then folded into warm corn tortillas for family-friendly tacos; seared scallops and orange-avocado salsa spooned over herbed quinoa; elbow pasta baked with cheese, chard, and crisp breadcrumbs for a tempting take on macaroni and cheese—that no one will guess is gluten free.
Like other special diets, gluten-free cooking is for people making healthy choices about what they want to eat. However, it does take some planning and education to pull off a gluten-free menu that doesn’t feel like it’s “missing something.” Weeknight Gluten Free solves these common issues for the frustrated home cook, taking the guesswork out of cooking gluten-free food that retains all of its original character.
Don’t miss this sequel to bestselling companion Weeknight Fresh & Fast, and get Weeknight Gluten Free for a straightforward approach to gluten-free cooking that you’ve been waiting for.
If you are interested in winning both cookbooks (Continental U.S. only please!) you need to do the following:
- Post a comment on my Blog below (very important!)
- Plus–Tweet out your interest in this giveaway to: @BrooklynFitChik and @kristinekidd
I will randomly pick a winner next Monday, April 15th at Noon (Eastern) and contact them directly. Good luck!!
Brooklyn Fit Chick
Follow me on Twitter: “BrooklynFitChik” (note the spelling!)
Friend me on Facebook: “Brooklyn FitChick
You Tube: BrooklynFitChick1