Book Vs Movie
“Julie & Julia”
The Julie Powell Book vs. The Nora Ephron Film
Is it us, or does the very suggestion of reading and watching this best selling book and popular film make you crave a life in Paris or what?! The Margos are back with a full episode talking about Julie Powell’s 2005 Julie & Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen which was based on her 2002 Blog “The Julia & Julia Project.“
Julie went from NYC cubicle drone to a popular food blogger in a short span of time when she chronicled her year’s journey into cooking every single recipe in Julia Child’s masterpiece Mastering the Art of French Cooking.
Nora Ephron wrote and directed the 2009 film starring Amy Adams and Meryl Streep. It seems people are divided on which part of the film they prefer. (Oh, let’s be honest–it’s “Julia and Paul” by a landslide!)
But how different is the book “Julie” to the cinema version versus the real live woman who wrote Cleaving: A Story of Marriage, Meat and Obsession chronicling her affair on her husband and journey into meat cutting?
The Margos get very meta in this episode where try to make sense out of all of this craziness between what we assume about Julie Powell in the book and the Nora Ephron version we get in the movie.
In this episode we discuss:
- The tone of the book versus the movie directed by the amazing Nora Ephron.
- Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci as Julia & Paul Child and the incredible love story of the characters they play.
- Amy Adams‘ winsome portrayal of Julie Powell.
- The FOOD in every scene!
- Our desire to move to Paris. (Mais, oui!)
- The importance of New York City as a backdrop to the story post 9/11.
- Discussing Julia Childs’ reaction to the Blog. (Big hint, she was NOT a fan!)
- We touch a bit on Cleaving as Margo D. became kind of obsessed with Julie Powell’s marriage after hearing about the aftermath of the movie on her relationship.
- Plus, My Life in France is mentioned which is the story about Julia and Paul’s years in France (1948-1954) based on the many letters he wrote to his brother.
Book Vs. Movie podcast https://www.facebook.com/bookversusmovie/
Twitter @bookversusmovie www.bookversusmovie.com
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Brought to you by Audible.com You can sign up for a FREE 30-day trial herehttp://www.audible.com/?source_code=PDTGBPD060314004R
Margo D. @BrooklynFitChik www.brooklynfitchick.com email@example.com
Margo P. @ShesNachoMama www.shesnachomamasblog.com