Book Vs Movie Podcast
“The Haunting of Hill House
Jackson is by far one of the most intriguing authors we have covered and though she only lived to be 48 (spoiler alert) her work has inspired the greats including Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, Richard Matheson and Joyce Carol Oates.
Jackson’s complicated life is discussed in this episode along with the influential film (titled The Haunting) directed by the much-admired Robert Wise. Book Vs Movie–which did we like better? Click on the link below to find out!
Main topics covered in this episode:
- The life story of Shirley Jackson and how her early (family friendly) work inspired moms all over the country–including peer Erma Bombeck.
- Why she chose to write about fun, family life, and horror stories. (Thanks to a rather cold mother.)
- Her strained marriage which exasperated her health issues
- The leads of the 1963 movie including Julie Harris, Claire Bloom, Richard Johnson and Russ Tamblyn.
- The spiral staircase scene and how it was achieved
- How the sexuality of the Theodora character is handled in both the book and film
- The divine wardrobe by Mary Quant
- The main differences between the 1959 novel and the 1963 film.
- The Haunting trailer
- The “big” haunting scene with Julie Harris, Claire Bloom, Richard Johnson, and Russ Tamblyn.
- Russ Tamblyn explains how the staircase scene was created (and in real life, very safe.)
- Outro music from Humphrey Searle
- Top of the show promo from the ladies at the History Goes Bump podcast
Book Vs. Movie podcast https://www.facebook.com/bookversusmovie/
Twitter @bookversusmovie www.bookversusmovie.com
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Brought to you by Audible.com You can sign up for a FREE 30-day trial here http://www.audible.com/?source_code=PDTGBPD060314004R
Want to meet the Margos? Come join us at the Podern Love convention in New Orleans!
Margo D. @BrooklynFitChik www.brooklynfitchick.com email@example.com
Margo P. @ShesNachoMama http://thechingonahomesteader.weebly.com/