Book Vs. Movie Podcast (Replay)
The 1993 Susanna Kaysen Novel Vs. The 1999 Winona Ryder-Produced Movie
First, let us say this. If you are having mental health and/or emotional issues and need help. Here are some resources based in the United States:
- If you are looking for a therapist, you can look up one that could work best for you from Psychology Today online at this link
- If you are in crisis you can use the following text number to get help #741741
- The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is ready if you want to online chat or call them at 800-273-8255
The Margos want you with us!
Now on to the episode:
Are you ready to learn a whole lot about Borderline Personality Disorder? You better damn well be because the Margos sure did after reading Girl Interrupted and man we just LOVE this book and movie discussion!
We start off talking about the recent Women’s Marches and then get right into the nitty-gritty of Susanna Kaysen’s (our author’s) interesting background and the history of the McLean Hosptial who past residents include Sylvia Plath, James Taylor, Ray Charles and David Foster Wallace. She stayed there between 1967-1968 and wrote this book in 1993.
Actress Winona Ryder (just 21 years old at the time) bought the movie rights and waited several years to see her passion project become the star vehicle for multi-award winner Angelina Jolie (oops!)
We read the book and then watched the movie. Which did the Margos like better? Listen below to find out!
In this episode the Margos discuss:
- Susanna Kaysen’s backstory and the cost (adjusted for inflation) to “cure” her mental illness
- Winona Ryder’s only (so far) Executive Producer credit
- How women were treated at mental institutions in the 1960s
- The vast number of changes between book and film
- Angelina Jolie’s incredible performance
- The excellent supporting cast
Girl Interrupted original theatrical trailer
Susanna gets her Borderline Personality Disorder diagnosis
Angelina Jolie’s character (“Lisa”) is introduced
Lisa has a breakdown
Downtown by Petula Clark
Book Vs. Movie podcast https://www.facebook.com/bookversusmovie/
Find us in Apple Podcasts
Twitter @bookversusmovie www.bookversusmovie.com
Email us at email@example.com
Brought to you by Audible.com You can sign up for a FREE 30-day trial here http://www.audible.com/?source_code=PDTGBPD060314004R
Margo D. @BrooklynFitChik www.brooklynfitchick.com firstname.lastname@example.org
Margo P. @ShesNachoMama http://thechingonahomesteader.weebly.com/