Not Fade Away
Episode 7: Author and Music Industry Veteran Dorothy Carvello
Anything For a Hit: An A&R Woman’s Story of Surviving the Music Industry
Hey there! Hi There! Ho there!
The Not Fade Away podcast is back and I am thrilled to interview Dorothy Carevllo, author of “Anything For a Hit: An A&R Woman’s Story of Surviving the Music Industry” for this episode. Dorothy is a 30+ year veteran of the music industry starting out as the assistant of Ahmet Ertegun who was the co-founder and president of Atlantic Records and wowzers–has she got some tea to spill!
I first read about Dorothy in this interview from The New York Times discussing the possibility of the music industry one day having a #MeToo movement naming sexual harassers and batterers. While that has not seemed to be happening right now, Dorothy’s book might very well plant the seeds for it to occur sooner than later. (One would hope!)
In this ep (and graciously answered all of my questions with honesty and integrity) we discuss:
- How the Brooklyn native with no contacts in the industry found her first job with Ahmet Ertegun (and the various abuses he put upon her)
- What it is was like to be a woman in the free-wheeling 80s and 90s music industry where men behaved badly with no consequences (and how it affected her career)
- Her favorite band successes and the ones that got away
- The income disparity that still exists in the business world and how it affected her financial stability
- Why she chose to name names of the various men she worked with who were either supportive or abusive
- Her love affair with Michael Hutchence (she told me later he was “great in the sack!”)
- The best advice she can give anyone who wants to begin a career in music
- What she is up to today.
Link to the episode here! http://notfadeawaypodcast.libsyn.com/the-not-fade-away-podcast-ep-7-dorothy-carvello
Also, be sure subscribe to the show so you won’t miss my next episode!
Thanks for checking out this podcast! If you have any suggestions for future eps–please reach out!
In the meantime–follow me on social media!
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/notfadeawaypodcast/
Twitter @NotFadeAwayPod https://twitter.com/NotFadeAwayPod
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Margo D. @BrooklynFitChik www.brooklynfitchick.com