Book Vs Movie (Replay)
Yes, it was a book first and WOW are their differences between the two!
The Margos know that life is more and better than a box of chocolates and one of our favorite books to movie adaptations, Forrest Gump, deserves the full Book Vs Movie treatment. Did you not know that it was a book? Well, get ready to hear the story about the author Winston Groom’s background and his real feelings about the 1994 film. (Spoiler–he is NOT a fan!)
So just how different is the book from the movie? Well, the book Forrest is a 6’6″ and 240-pounds–large enough to draw attention everywhere he goes just in his appearance below. During his lifetime he is a high school football phenom, joins a folk music band with his on and off sweetheart Jenny (more on her in a bit!), joins the army and serves in Viet Nam, is a ping pong champion in China and then works for NASA.
Want more? How about the fact he winds up in the stranded in a jungle for years, has an orangutan for a companion, dabbles in chess, becomes a professional wrestler called “The Dunce,” is a stuntman who runs into a naked Raquel Welch, and eventually he winds up running a shrimp business in honor of his deceased friend Bubba.
The book is a heck of a ride, let’s just say.
And most of the characters you know from the film are featured in the book but are very different in attitude and behavior. For example, Forrest lifelong love Jenny is much more level-headed in the novel and “Momma” is not nearly as sweet as Sally Field portrays her in the movie.
There are so many more changes and tons of movie trivia to impart here, so be sure to click on the link at the bottomed to listen to what we think and decide which we like more.
In this ep the Margos discuss :
- The life and writing career of author Winston Groom and the plot to his follow up novel Gump & Co.
- How the cast was chosen including Tom Hanks (Forrest Gump,) Sally Field (Mrs. Gump,) Gary Sinise (Lt. Dan Taylor,) Mykelti Williamson (Bubba,) Robin Wright (Jenny,) and Hayley Joel Osment (Forrest Gump Jr.)
- The fact that there is a “Margo” in this movie! (Margo Moorer plays the maid, Louise)
- The many changes between book & movie
- The use of music and popular songs to help move the plot along. (A little too on the nose? Maybe?)
- A plethora of trivia and behind-the-scenes gossip about the much-lauded film
- Forrest Gump trailer
- Young Forrest (Michael Conner Humphries) and Jenny (Hanna Hall)
- Young Forrest teaches “Elvis” (Kurt Russel’s voice!) how to dance.
- Bubba dies in Forrest’s arms
- Mama Gump dies
- Outro Music: On the Road Again by Willie Nelson
Book Vs. Movie podcast https://www.facebook.com/bookversusmovie/
Twitter @bookversusmovie www.bookversusmovie.com
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Brought to you by Audible.com You can sign up for a FREE 30-day trial here http://www.audible.com/?source_code=PDTGBPD060314004R
Margo D. @BrooklynFitChik www.brooklynfitchick.com email@example.com
Margo P. @ShesNachoMama http://thechingonahomesteader.weebly.com/