Book Vs Movie
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
The Muriel Spark Novel Vs the 1969 Maggie Smith Film
The Margos are celebrating September with a series of “Back to School” episodes starting with 1961 classic The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark. Brodie is a popular teacher at a girls’ school in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1931. Each year she picks a group of students to be an elite part of the “Brodie set”–under her tutelage learning mostly about the arts & beauty (and not science!)
Brodie is single and considers herself at her “prime” with two gentlemen vying for her affection. Mr. Lloyd who is a painter, father of six, and a bit of a letch. Mr. Lowther is a kind person but a bit wishy-washy. The competition for her attention and affection marks their relationships and is a game the girls enjoy watching.
Turns out Brodie is a Fascist which is her ultimate undoing. The complicated story about education and mentorship is an indictment on giving one person too much power over a young mind.
The 1969 movie was not a huge hit at the time but when Dame Maggie Smith won the Academy Award for Best Actress in 1970, it went back into the theaters and became a classic.
There are many changes between the book & the film. Which did the Margos like more?
In this ep the Margos discuss:
- The interesting life story of Muriel Spark
- The central characters and how they differ in the adaptation
- The moral quandary of liking Maggie Smith and despising Brodie
- The cast including Maggie Smith (Brodie,) Robert Stephens (Teddy Llloyd,) Pamela Franklin (Sandy,) Gordon Jackson (Gordon Lowther,) Celia Johnson (Miss Mackay,) Diane Grayson (Jenny,) Jane Carr (Mary McGregor,) and Shirley Steedman (Monica.)
- The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie trailer
- Miss Brodie confronts Miss Mackay
- Sandy confront Miss Brodie
- Miss Brodie shows her vacation slides
- Music: “Jean” by Rod McKuen
Join our Patreon page to help support the show! https://www.patreon.com/bookversusmovie
Book Vs. Movie podcast https://www.facebook.com/bookversusmovie/
Twitter @bookversusmovie www.bookversusmovie.com
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Brought to you by Audible.com You can sign up for a FREE 30-day trial here http://www.audible.com/?source_code=PDTGBPD060314004R
Margo D. @BrooklynFitChik www.brooklynfitchick.com email@example.com
Margo P. @ShesNachoMama https://coloniabook.weebly.com/