Book Vs Movie: “The Perfect Storm” (2000)
The True-ish Stroy About the Sinking of the Andrea Gail in 1991
Ahoy Matey! The Margos can’t seem to escape the sea as we look into the disappearance of the “Andrea Gail” which happened during what was classified as “The Perfect Storm” in late October/early November in 1991. The confluence of two hurricanes and several storms happening at once caused several near-deaths and the force of the US Navy and Coast Guard to rescue several people.
Author Sebastian Junger was faced with a scary challenge when he originally told the story of the doomed fishing expedition in Outdoor magazine. Having no survivors to speak to (spoiler,) the Massachusetts native hung around Gloucester to speak with the family and friends of the crew of the Andrea Gail. His work later became the 1997 bestselling novel “The Perfect Storm.”
Soon Hollywood came calling and director Wolfgang Peterson helmed the hit film that came out in 2000 with George Clooney playing Billy Tyne and Mark Wahlberg as Bobby Shatford. The family of Billy Tyne later sued for the fictionalized portrayal (the film does make him seem to be incompetent, to be honest.) But the special effects drew big crowds at the box office and earned them a free technical Academy Award nominations.
So between book & movie–which did we like better? Have a listen!
In this ep the Margos discuss:
- The work of Sebastian Junger
- The changes between the original story and the film
- The cast: George Clooney (Billy Tyne,) Mark Wahlberg (Bobby Shatford,) John C. Reilly (“Murph,”) Diane Lane (Christina Cotter,) William Fitchner (“Sully,”) John Hawkes (“Bugsy,”) Allen Payne (Alfred Pierre,) Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio (Linda Greenlaw,) Karen Allen (Melissa Brown,) Cherry Jones (Edie Bailey,) and Christopher McDonald (Todd Gross.)
- The Perfect Strom trailer
- The storm is brewin’
- Billy flirts with Linda Greenlaw
- Music by James Horner
Join our Patreon page to help support the show! https://www.patreon.com/bookversusmovie
Book Vs. Movie podcast https://www.facebook.com/bookversusmovie/
Twitter @bookversusmovie www.bookversusmovie.com
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Brought to you by Audible.com You can sign up for a FREE 30-day trial here http://www.audible.com/?source_code=PDTGBPD060314004R
Margo D. @BrooklynFitChik www.brooklynfitchick.com email@example.com
Margo P. @ShesNachoMama https://coloniabook.weebly.com/