Book Vs Movie: “Love Story”
The 1970 Novel & Film Explores Love, Loss, and the Use of the Word “Sorry”
Since we have just been added to the amazing lineup shows that are a part of the Frolic Podcast Network, the Margos thought it was time to cover a classic book & film that our listeners are clamoring for since the start of the show.
In 1969, author and screenwriter Erich Segal pitched a film to his literary agent Lois Wallace at the William Morris Agency called ‘Love Story.’ She wisely advised him to write it as a book and then sell the rights to a movie studio. The book was a smash hit and sold millions of copies in time for the December movie release starring Ryan O’Neal and Ali MacGraw.
You could not escape the book, movie, the music, or the ‘Ali McGraw disease” which became a common film trope. It was completely maligned by snobs as pablum but the public didn’t care what the critics thought. The film earned over $100 million at the box office and would later be the highest-rated TV Movie of 1972.
The story of rich kid Oliver, his working-class girlfriend Jenny, and their tragic love affair still pulls in viewers 50+ years later and we aim to try and figure out why.
So between the book and the film–which did we prefer? Have a listen and find out!
In this ep the Margos discuss:
- The life of Erich Segal
- The casting of our tragic couple
- The backlash by the “elites” in media and publishing
- The cast: Ali MacGraw (Jenny Cavilerri,) Ryan O’Neal (Oliver Barrett IV,) John Marley (Phil Cavilerri,) Ray Milland (Oliver Barrett III,) Russell Nype (Dean Thompson,) Katherine Balfour (Mrs. Barrett,) Tommy Lee Jones (Hank Simspon,) Sydney Walker (Dr. Shapely,) and Robert Modica (Dr. Addison.)
- Oliver & Jenny meet-cute
- Love Story trailer
- Oliver proposes to Jenny
- Jenny claims “love means never having to say you’re sorry”
- Doctors tell Oliver that Jenny is sick
- Jenny’s last scene (“the Ali McGraw disease”)
- Love Story theme music by Francis Lai
Book Vs Movie is part of the Frolic Podcast Network. Find more podcasts you will love Frolic. media/podcasts
Join our Patreon page to help support the show! https://www.patreon.com/bookversusmovie
Book Vs. Movie podcast https://www.facebook.com/bookversusmovie/
Twitter @bookversusmovie www.bookversusmovie.com
Email us at email@example.com
Brought to you by Audible.com You can sign up for a FREE 30-day trial here http://www.audible.com/?source_code=PDTGBPD060314004R
Margo D. @BrooklynFitChik www.brooklynfitchick.com firstname.lastname@example.org
Margo P. @ShesNachoMama https://coloniabook.weebly.com/
Our logo was designed by Madeleine Gainey/Studio 39 Marketing Follow on Instagram @Studio39Marketing & @musicalmadeleine