What a Creep: Imelda Marcos
Season 11, Episode 8
The Dictator’s Mrs. Did More Than Buy Shoes!
Known as the “Steel Butterfly” for her combination of fashion sense and political ambition, Imelda Marcos is the former first lady of the Philippines. Her husband, Ferdinand Marcos, was president of the Philippines from 1965 to 1986. During that time, the couple embezzled $10 BILLION from the government. In fact, Imelda and her husband hold the Guinness World Record for the Greatest Robbery of a Government. Oh, and they committed hundreds of human rights abuses during a brutal period of martial law.
Sources for this episode:
- The Kingmaker (documentary)
- Vanity Fair
- The New York Times
- LA Magazine
- Town & Country
- Human rights violations by the Marcos
Trigger warnings: Political assassinations, torture, and animal abuse.
Be sure to follow us on social media. But don’t follow us too closely … don’t be a creep about it!
- Subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/CreepPod @CreepPod
- Facebook: Join the private group!
- Instagram @WhatACreepPodcast
- Visit our Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/whatacreep
- Email: WhatACreepPodcast@gmail.com
- We’ve got merch here! https://whatacreeppodcast.threadless.com/#
- Our website is www.whatacreeppodcast.com
- Our logo was created by Claudia Gomez-Rodriguez. Follow her on Instagram @ClaudInCloud