Devil in a Blue Dress (1995) TriStar Pictures
Walter Mosely’s 1990 Novel Vs the 1995 Denzel Washington Film
In continuation of African American History Month, the Margos are taking on an old-fashioned mystery with Devil in a Blue Dress, which started as a novel by Walter Mosley & later was adapted into a film starring Denzel Washington.
The setting is post WW2 in Los Angeles where army veteran Ezekial “Easy” Rawlins (Washington) Easy is a black man dealing with the racism of the era which was more overt. He is assigned by a man named DeWitt Adams to find a white woman, Daphne Monet, who is fascinated by jazz music and black culture.
Along the way, several people associated with Easy wind up dead and the Mayor’s office seems to be in on it. Who is Daphne and what secrets does she keep?
Between the original story and the 1995 adaptation–which did we prefer?
In this ep the Margos discuss:
- The biography of author Walter Mosey
- Race relations in Los Angeles in post WW2
- The biggest changes between the book and movie
- Starring: Denzel Washington (Easy,) Tom Sizemore (DeWitt Albright,) Jennifer Beals (Daphne Monet,) Don Cheadle (Mouse,) Maury Chaykin (Matthew Terrell, Joseph Lattimore (Frank Carter,) Terry Kinney (Todd Carter,) Mel Winkler (Joppy,) Lisa Nicole Carson (Coretta James,) and Jernard Burks (Dupree Brouchard.)
- Easy Rawlins speaks
- Devil in a Blue Dress trailer
- Don Cheadle as Mouse
- Terry Kinney as Todd Carter
- Jennifer Beales as Daphne Monet
- Tom Sizemore as DeWitt Albright
- Music by T-Bone Walker “West Side Baby”
Book Vs. Movie is part of the Frolic Podcast Network. Find more podcasts you will love Frolic.Media/podcasts
Join our Patreon page to help support the show! https://www.patreon.com/bookversusmovie
Book Vs. Movie podcast https://www.facebook.com/bookversusmovie/
Twitter @bookversusmovie www.bookversusmovie.com
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Margo D. @BrooklynFitChik www.brooklynfitchick.com email@example.com
Margo P. @ShesNachoMama https://coloniabook.weebly.com/
Our logo was designed by Madeleine Gainey/Studio 39 Marketing Follow on Instagram @Studio39Marketing & @musicalmadeleine