What a Creep: The Zoot Suit Riots & The Sleepy Lagoon Murder
Season 14, Episode 8
The Murder of Jose Gallardo Diaz & the Zoot Suit Riots
On August 2, 1942, Jose Gallardo Diaz (22) was found unconscious in an area known as The Sleepy Lagoon. He had multiple head injuries, was stabbed at least twice, and had a broken finger. He died at Los Angeles Hospital, and a complete sweep of Mexican Americans by the LA cops captured the media’s imagination. Though mostly from future Creep William Randolph Hearst) kids that were Zoot-suiters were seen as a dangerous element and causing a crime wave. The phrase De-Zoot the suit was often sed.
Diaz’s murder remains unsolved, but it was the catalyst for the “Zoot Suit Riots” that happened the following summer. If you have heard of the Cherry Poppin’ Daddies song—you will get no idea how horrible this incident indeed was for the Chicano and African American community.
This episode will talk about the Sleepy Lagoon Murders, the sham of a trial that happened afterward, and the Zoot Suit Riots in Los Angeles of 1943.
Trigger Warnings: Racism and my terrible attempts at Spanish.
Be sure to follow us on social media. But don’t follow us too closely … don’t be a creep about it!
How to help the people of Ukraine
- Doctors Without Borders
- Sunflower of Peace
- International Committee of the Red Cross
- Save the Children
- UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR)
- The Red Cross
- Voices of Children
How to help the trans people of Texas
- Transgender Education Network of Texas
- Equality Texas
- Lambda Legal
- Trans Youth Family Allies
- Trans Pride Initiative
- Subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/CreepPod @CreepPod
- Facebook: Join the private group!
- Instagram @WhatACreepPodcast
- Visit our Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/whatacreep
- Email: WhatACreepPodcast@gmail.com
- We’ve got merch here! https://whatacreeppodcast.threadless.com/#
- Our website is www.whatacreeppodcast.com
- Our logo was created by Claudia Gomez-Rodriguez. Follow her on Instagram @ClaudInCloud