Brooklyn Fit Chick Vlog Ep 76: Bike Spring Cleaning, SELF & A Warning for Bloggers, Plus Giveaway of Functional Cross Training 19
Brooklyn Fit Chick Vlog Episode #76
Spring Cleaning for Your Bike, SELF magazine’s “Tutu” Kerfuffle and My Brand-New
Functional Cross-Training Book Giveaway!
Hey there! Hi there! Ho there!
It’s the day after my birthday when I post this and no I will NOT tell how many spanks I should have received but let’s just say I remember the 80s–mmmkay?
My mood is a little better this week than last which might be because the temperature is above 40 degrees or maybe I was just in a bit of a funk. Let’s just say I am trying to embrace the new season that is finally arriving and ready to kick some ass again. So let’s get to it, shall we?
Today I want to talk about getting your bike ready for the spring, the “inadvertent” mess-up that is the April issue of SELF magazine and my groovy new book giveaway Functional Cross Training (three copies folks—your odds are good to win!)
- Terry Bikes/Bicycling Magazine: As the fitness ambassador for Terry Bicycles (their first!) I am happy to forward along my latest Blog post for them which talks about Spring Cleaning for Your Bike. Leah Flickinger from Bicycling magazine gave me the tips and I cannot WAIT to get out on the road again. Be sure to follow Leah on Twitter as well as @BicyclingMag.
Also—you can enter to win a $500 Cycling Wardrobe from Terry Bicycles now until April 16th and you need to do is fill out one easy form, so go for it!
- SELF magazine had the ‘Worst Week Ever!” Oy vey. Where do I even BEGIN here? In case you have not heard about this debacle (all of the best links are here by the way) SELF magazine asked Monika Allen if they could print a photo of her and her friend running in a race wearing tutus as they story was about running with tutus. Monika is a running coach who raises funds for Girls on The Run of San Diego with her own tutu business Glam Runner. Well it turned into a slam piece where SELF essentially mocked Monika and her friend Tara Baize for wearing tutus while running because, um– they think it is a “lame” trend.
The comment was/is juvenile, myopic and out-of-date with what is actually happening in the running world. “How dare you be different from me? We are SERIOUS about running here!”
Here’s the rub—Monika had brain cancer at the time of the run. She was in the middle of chemotherapy treatments and the photo they used of her in the Los Angeles marathon was the first time she felt healthy enough in about a year to run a full marathon. That’s right, she had a tumor in her head and she ran a marathon. Suck on that haters!
Monika asked the editors to explain their actions. After getting no response from them she did the wise thing and went to her local press. Let me tell you—the word “tutu” took off all over the Twitter and Facebook right afterwards.
Long story short (honestly—the link I sent before will give you a fuller picture) SELF’s editor in chief Lucy Danziger did the right thing by offering a heartfelt apology. (Though it is certainly not worse because Monika had cancer. It’s bad all on its own because it was a mean comment—period.)
I have not done a full post on SELF in several months because frankly, there was not enough content that deserved a full review. What I will do with my April 2014 issue is toss it directly into the recycling bin unread. I will feature SELF again when they prove themselves worthy of the trust of all of the women working hard to get healthy.
- My Functional Cross Training Giveaway: This week I have three copies of Functional Cross Training from Brett Stewart & Jason Werner which is published by Ulysses Press. Whoo hoo! Scroll down below for all of the details on how you can win. (Note—Ulysses Press will send the book directly to each winner and they did not pay for this promotion!)
Now let’s get to this week’s Vlog where I talk all about this plus my warning to Bloggers everywhere when dealing with the media.
Whew! Are you ready to hear more about Functional Cross Training? (Three copies are being given away, people!)
The Revolutionary, Routine-Busting Approach to Total-Body Fitness
Introducing Functional Cross Training, a new step-by-step guide that brings together a wide range of cutting-edge techniques, including plyometrics, intense circuit training, weight lifting, and gym-free bodyweight exercises.
Whether your goal is to drop a few pounds, build muscle, increase your running speed, or a little bit of everything, Functional Cross Training offers six progressive programs that will push you to your full potential and get you the body you’ve always wanted.
With 100 unique exercises (plus easy-to-follow photos!), you’ll transform your body and perform like you never thought possible.
“This book is the workout partner that you’ve always wanted,” explains author Brett Stewart. “The only thing that’s between you and achieving your fitness goals is taking the first step and getting started!”
About the Authors
Brett Stewart is a certified personal trainer, a running and triathlon coach, and an endurance athlete who lives in Phoenix, Arizona. An avid multisport athlete, Brett has completed dozens of triathlons, marathons, ultra-marathons, and obstacle races. His books and fitness tips can be found at 7weekstofitness.com. Jason Warner is an ISSA Certified Strength Trainer, fitness and sports enthusiast, ultra-marathoner, triathlete, CrossFitter, and overall Olympic-lifting nut. Jason coauthored Ultimate Jump Rope Workouts and 7 Weeks to 10 Pounds of Muscle. He lives in Victoria, British Columbia, with his wife and three kids.
If you want to win this giveaway you must do the following (Continental United States, please!)
- Post a comment below (on this post) letting me know you are interested.
- Send a comment on Twitter and say “I want to win Functional Cross Training @triphx and @ulyssespress from @brooklynfitchik”
- If you haven’t already—let me know you are subscribing to my You Tube channel
I will pick three winners at random on Monday, April 7th at NOON Eastern Time and contact them directly. Good luck and enter as often as you like!
Until next time…
Brooklyn Fit Chick
Follow me on Twitter: “BrooklynFitChik” (note the spelling!)
You Tube: BrooklynFitChick1