What Did We Learn This Month?
Shape: January/February 2013
Shape Cover Star for January/February: The cover star this month is Jenny McCarthy who will have her own late night talk show on Vh1 soon and is also a columnist with the Chicago Sun-Times. I am not her biggest fan for my own reasons but I won’t dwell on that here. Instead I will say that I love the workout featured inside which was created by Jenny’s trainer Mark Harari who is hella cute I have to say.
So what else is inside the January/February Shape?
“Cool Ways to Blast Calories” I have never been great at working out in the wintertime but these pages may make me change my mind. If nothing else—I want to hang out in a ski lodge by the fire. (My apartment is freezing right now!)
“Spin to Slim” Shape asked Ruth Zuckerman of Flywheel Sports (a top-notch spin studio in New York City) came up with this routine you can do on your own. (photo)
“6 Clues to Your Heart Health” Cardiovascular disease is the top killer of women and not enough of us are cognizant of this fact. Shape has the exclusive excerpt from Dr. Suzanne Steinbaum’s Heart Book on the six things you need to pay attention to in order to keep your ticker healthy. (photo)
“Fast-Track to Fit” Jillian Michaels is back ladies & gentlemen and she offers us this butt-kicking workout based on Jillian Michaels Bodyshred.
“Step & Repeat” Weeeee! Ms. Lorna Kleidman designed this workout based on her KettleX Step class which is based out of the Fitness Cell Collective in New York City. I have taken a class with Lorna and can verify her talents as an instructor. Now try this routine which requires a step and a kettlebell.
“Katy Perry” Billboard’s most recent “Woman of the Year” recipient talks about how she keeps such a fabulous figure while she is on the road.
And now the rest of the best of this issue of Shape:
• “Your Skin, A to Z” Shape’s big beauty story rocks my world with all sorts of recommendations for lotions & potions that are good for your skin. (Good job picking out Juice Beauty by the way—they rock my socks off!)
• “Intimate Appeal” I am a big believer in owning pretty underwear even if you are the only person who sees them. (Need to try out the brand Wocoal…)
• “Take That, Fat!” Simple (really simple) fixes to make your workouts more effective.
• “Give Your Desk a Check-Up” My desk is messed-up and gross right now. This article reminds me to get my crap together—stat!
• “Help—I Can’t Sleep!” Having sleep issues on and off over the years—I always appreciate advice on how to get more zzz’s.
Follow Shape magazine online at: www.Shape.com
Overall Grade: A! I have to hand it to Shape—they really brought the workout pages this month. Loved them all!
Have you read the January/February Shape yet? What was your favorite article? Let me know!
Brooklyn Fit Chick (BFC)
Follow me on Twitter: @BrooklynFitChik (note the spelling!)
“Friend” me on Facebook at “Brooklyn FitChick”
You Tube: “BrooklynFitChick1”