What Did We Learn This Month?
Recaps of Muscle & Fitness Hers, Oxygen and Prevention
Hey there! Hi there! Ho there!
How is your 2013 going so far? I am doing quite well thank you very much. (You are so sweet to ask!)
I have a stack of magazines to recap here and I am itchin’ to get right to it. So why don’t we just dive right in? Here are my latest recaps of the January & February health and wellness magazines.
Amanda Latona photographed by Tom Corbett
Muscle & Fitness Hers: January/February 2013
• “Must-Try Moves for…Serious Calorie Burn” IFBB Bikini Pro Ruthie Harrison, IFBB Fitness Pro Tanji Johnson and IFBB Figure Pro Candice Keene offer their favorite cardio circuit workouts.
• Ellen Hollman: The Spartacus actress has to keep in top shape as she does her own stunts (yikes!) Favorite workouts are P90x Ab Ripper, MMA, Bikram yoga and running in the California sunshine. Sundays are her lucky fun-days with one sodium & noodle-rich meal to enjoy.
• “Cozy Workout Wear” I still have a shopping bug left over from Christmas and this page is full of outdoor gear that give me the “I Wants.”
• “Get an Awe-Inspiring Butt” Can’t say my bask side has ever inspired awe but IFBB Bikini pro (and January/February Muscle & Fitness Hers cover model) Amanda Latona’s routine looks like it might give me the glutes of my dreams. Whoo hoo!
• “Yoga for Fit Chicks” Loved this story! IFBB Bikini Pro Bethany Cisternino shows how a few Vinyasa poses will help strengthen and lengthen your muscles.
• “Lose Pounds with Plyo” A Tough workout created by IFBB Bikini Pro Tawna Eubanks will help you kick the winter blues and gain muscle.
• “12 Health Ways to Wake Up Chicken” Great ideas to jazz up one of my favorite proteins.
Check out Muscle & Fitness Hers online here: www.muscleandfitnesshers.com
Tosca Reno photographed by Stewart Volland
Oxygen: February 2013
• Tosca Reno: Oxygen puts the awesome and amazing Tosca Reno on the cover and holy wowza! This woman is 53-years old, people! Tosca writes about the importance of taking a day off from the gym once in a while to get your head and body back in line when you start to feel your workouts fail you. (I just love her!)
• “Trim Inches All Over!” An excellent allover workout that uses bands.
• “Your Muscle Up Meal Plan” The diet part of Oxygen’s ‘Best Body” series features yummy recipes of “clean” foods like Cranberry Breakfast Mug and Scrambled Egg White Pizza.
• “Boost Your Heart Health” The latest research on how keeping your relationships healthy will help keep your ticker in shape as well.
• “Stronger Than Ever!” Here we get a butt-kicking workout that utilizes kettlebells.
• “Shrink Your Belly” Oxygen offers an abs express program will help get your core in top shape.
• “The Buddy System” Tosca Reno and Rita Catolino (“Coach Rita”) share their workout (Rita trained Tosca for a competition) that used weighted plates and helped Tosca win first prize (spoiler alert.)
Check out Oxygen online: http://www.oxygenmag.com
Prevention: January 2013
• “3 Cold Treatments That Really Work” Remember when we didn’t have a Stephen King-like flu scaring the crap out of us? Well think back to those days and read this article on how to fight off cold symptoms.
• “Get Slim Without the Gym” Prevention reviews a few home workout DVDs: Zumba Gold, Tara Stiles: This is Yoga, Denise Austin: Fit in a Flash and Kettlebell Kickboxing Scorcher Series.
• “The Beauty Ingredient to Avoid” Prevention informs us about the potential health hazards. Dibutyl phthalate (DBP) and diethyl phthalate (DEP.)
• “I Reversed My Osteopenia with Exercise” Sara Robbins offers her own true story about losing 50 pounds and reversing the bone-weakening disease.
• “Problem Solved: Irritable Bowel Syndrome” If you suffer from IBS using everything from hypnosis to antibiotics to “all-natural” ideas.
• “Prevention: Let’s Outsmart Diabetes” Prevention will devote one story each month in 2013 to little changes you can make to reduce your chances of getting Type 2 Diabetes. Good on them!
Check out Prevention online http://www.prevention.com
So that is all I have for today folks. Have you read of these magazines this month? What did you think? Let me know!
Until next time!
Brooklyn Fit Chick
Follow me on Twitter: @BrooklynFitChik (note the spelling!)
Friend Me on Facebook: “Brooklyn FitChick”
You Tube: “BrooklynFitChick1”