BROOKLYN FIT CHICK’S WORKOUT PLAYLIST
“Feelin’ Alright” Playlist (50-minute Ride)
The online radio I listen to every day plus the super-groovy music app Shazam.
(A picture of my cats “Feelin’ Alright” because they are too damn cute not to show off to the world!)
Hey there! Hi there! Ho there!
It’s been a while since I put up a playlist so I today I present one that I think will rock your socks off. (Or just give you some ideas for tunes to add to your MP3 player.)
Students have commented on my “eclectic” song selections which I take as a supreme compliment. The fact is I plan put together all of my classes carefully so that music swings, wails, bounces, grooves and more. Every single song must work with the others in sound, pace, mood, male vs. female voice and more.
In fact, my playlists are so unpredictable that people try to guess how old I am (not saying) and where I am from. Some of the things I have heard from my students:
• “You have GOT to be from Boston to know that band!” (I’m not.)
• “Are you from Detroit?” (Nope.)
• “Did you really see Nirvana in concert? (Yes.)
But my favorite was the time a dude who looked like a typical 20-something Brooklyn hipster (complete with handlebar mustache) whisper to me slyly “Please tell me you are a Canadian, too!” (Sorry—born and raised in the U.S.)
As a consultant I work a great deal from home and like to have music keep me company. Unfortunately most stations in the New York City region suck BIG TIME so I usually listen online (when Time Warner is not screwing with my Internet) to get any good, new and interesting music.
I wanted to give a “shout out” to a few of my favorites today:
• 107.1 “The Peak” Nyack, NY: http://www.1071thepeak.com/ I get up every morning and put them on first thing as I apply my makeup. Great selection of adult alternative rock and Caroline Corley is my favorite radio personality out there right now. (Hey Caroline—Gordon Downie is MY boyfriend!)
• “Alice at 97.3” San Francisco, CA: http://radioalice.cbslocal.com/ Midday here I listen to “Sarah & Vinnie” live from the West Coast to get my daily dose of celebrity gossip plus they play all of the popular (and current) songs people seem to like. Normally I hate “hit” music but occasionally they play something that makes me really happy. I have to know what the kids like amIright?
• 104.5 KFOG San Francisco, CA: http://www.kfog.com/ They used to be my favorite station in the world but the morning show has been busted up so I just check in from time to time. I would say it is also adult alternative rock station as well but a bit on the mellower side.
• “The Edge” Toronto, Ontario: http://www.edge.ca/ I have a strong, passionate and innate love for Canada (as well as most Canadians) plus head-banging “alternative rock” music and this station is my secret fix. I am convinced no women listen to them but I still just love The Edge to death. Fearless Fred in the afternoons is my main guy.
• WXRT-FM Chicago, IL: http://wxrt.cbslocal.com/ Not to oversell it but this is now my favorite station in the whole wide world and when their internet stream doesn’t work I want to bawl my eyes out. They play everything from The Who to Fiona Apple to Paul Simon to Feist to Led Zeppelin. If you do nothing else—check them out today and let me know what you think. (DJ Frank E. Lee rules my word by the way!)
Please feel free in the comments to send me links to your favorite stations. I am always on the lookout for good music!
When I do find songs that I like, I reach for my iPhone and Shazam the hell out of it. This app can identify songs and artists by some sort of magic system and I would be lost without them. I seriously do not know how it works but if you want to learn more about the Shazam app (there is a free & a paid version) check them out here :http://www.shazam.com/
I was contacted by Shazam and they offered me the following quote which I think works well with my ride today. (I am getting to the playlist—be patient!)
“We all have a soundtrack to our lives – music to drive to, read or study to, and, of course, work out to. In fact, studies have shown that music can really help your motivation when you’re exercising, helping you train faster or longer. ”
Will Mills, Director of Music and Content
Go and check out Shazam’s Blog if you want ideas for more songs. They are NOT paying me to talk about them. It’s an app I have happily paid for and just wanted to pass along for your information.
And now—on to today’s playlist!
• Feelin’ Alright: Joe Cocker
I love every single thing about this song and think it has such a wonderful build in energy that is really makes for the perfect warm up tune. (Though sometimes I picture John Belushi doing an imitation of him and it makes me giggle.)
• Everybody Talks
: Neon Trees
This is the fastest damn song I have heard in a while and people seem to love it.
• Just Like a Pill: Pink
This is one of those songs I learned from “Alice 97.3” that has been around for ages but did not fly in my radar before. (I think I have a crush on Pink now. She is so damn cool!)
• Who Loves You
: Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons
If you get a chance to see “Jersey Boys” do so. It will have you obsessed with Frankie Valli
: The Cranberries
God, I just love this song to death and it is perfect for a long climb.
• …Baby One More Time
: Britney Spears
The one and only song from her I really care about.
: Green Day
Excellent, fast-paced tune to get people in the mood to move fast.
• Gold Guns Girls: Metric
One of my favorite bands that I am dying to see live (please come back to New York!)
• No Light, No Light: Florence & the Machine
When I put this on I blare the living hell out of it. Florence RULES. Period.
• Icky Thump: The White Stripes
For some reason Jack White has been occupying my thoughts. Hmmm….
• Time to Pretend
Another “perfect climb” song that gets everyone in the mood to add more gear and work harder.
: Serena Ryder
A new favorite tune that came into my world through The Edge in Toronto.
• Unknown Legend
: Neil Young
The “Grandfather of Grunge” writes some of the most beautiful songs in the world and this one is one of my favorites.
So what do you think of my list? Do you have any suggestions? Please feel free to send me your suggestions!
Until next time…
Brooklyn Fit Chick
Follow Me On Twitter: @BrooklynFitChik (note the spelling!)
“Friend” Me on Facebook at “Brooklyn FitChick”
You Tube: Brooklyn FitChick1