Book Vs Movie
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
The Margos Discuss Stephen Chbosky’s Book & Film
Pittsburgh native Chbosky based the story in his hometown in the early 1990s as we follow the story of freshman Charlie who is dealing with a recent psychiatric hospital stay after his best friend’s death by suicide. He is facing highschool with incredible angst and writes in his journal a mythical friend to relay his feelings.
Charlie also lost his favorite aunt in a car accident (she was on her way to buy him a present) so he has quite a few demons to face while navigating school cliques. The novel deals with mental illness, rape, sexuality, drugs, and alcohol which made it on to “banned” lists at schools across the country.
The journey for Charlie includes making new friends, falling in love, making huge mistakes, and dealing with tremendous pain. It’s a beautiful piece of work and the movie is almost up to the task of meeting our expectations.
There are a few changes between the book & the film and one BIG logic hole that we are still grappling with so check out this episode to hear our thoughts!
In this ep the Margos discuss:
- The bio of writer/director Chbosky
- Movies that take place in the 90s (How accurate are they?)
- Margo D’s Ezra Miller story!
- The cast including Logan Lerman (Charlie,) Emma Watson (Sam,) Ezra Miller (Patrick,) Mae Witman (Mary Elizabeth,) Paul Rudd (Mr. Anderson,) Nina Dobrev (Candace,) Kate Walsh (Charlie’s Mom,) Dylan McDermot (Charlie’s father,) Joan Cusack (Dr. Burton,) and Melanie Lynskey (Aunt Helen)
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower trailer
- “Cheers to Charlie”
- “The tunnel song”
- Charlie fights to football players
- Music: Come on Eileen by Dexy’s Midnight Runners
Join our Patreon page to help support the show! https://www.patreon.com/bookversusmovie
Book Vs. Movie podcast https://www.facebook.com/bookversusmovie/
Twitter @bookversusmovie www.bookversusmovie.com
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Brought to you by Audible.com You can sign up for a FREE 30-day trial here http://www.audible.com/?source_code=PDTGBPD060314004R
Margo D. @BrooklynFitChik www.brooklynfitchick.com email@example.com
Margo P. @ShesNachoMama https://coloniabook.weebly.com/