Brooklyn Fit Chick Vlog Episode 35
Featuring: Maintaining Healthy Boundaries, the Recharge Bars Free Samples and
Mika Brzezinski’s “Obsessed” Book Giveaway
Hey there! Hi there! Ho there!
Spring has sprung in New York and the world is looking so bright and lovely right now—I just want to tear through Prospect Park on my bike and yell “Look everyone! I can see the sun!” at the top of my lungs.
But before I can do that—I must get to today’s Vlog post. (My 35th—can you believe that?!) So in the words of Marty DeBergi (Rob Reiner) of This is Spinal Tap “enough of my yakkin’—let’s boogie!”
Featured on my Vlog this week:
- I talk about the difficulty of setting boundaries as an instructor.
- The extension of FREE samples fromRecharge Dynamic Nutrition bars (http://www.rechargefoods.com/) to my readers who go to this link and enter “Brooklyn” as the promo code will get a free sample. (Check them out on their Facebook page as well.)
- My giveaway of Mika Brzezinski’s book “OBSESSED: America’s Food Addiction–And My Own” which a fast, interesting read. On TV she is cool and always in control co-host of MSNBC’s Morning Joe but in real life it turns out Mika has spent most of her life “obsessed” with food and exercise. She would put herself on a strict diet and exercise plan (even lecturing friends and family on what they should and shouldn’t eat) and then in private consume large quantities of food (like an entire box of Cap’n Crunch) in a quick amount of time.
- If you want to read an in-depth “behind the scenes” view of the book—check out this excellent feature of Mika and collaborator Diane Smith (a fellow journalist who has also struggled with food issues) in this interview from More magazine.
Now let’s check out today’s Vlog post! (Please ignore the screen grab. My eyes are not behaving today.)
Here is the official information about Mika’s Book:
America’s Food Addiction–and My Own
By Mika Brzezinski
Published by Weinstein Books
The New York Times bestselling author and co-host of MSNBC’s Morning Joe shares the story of her own struggle with food, hoping to inspire us all to begin the journey toward healthy eating.
Mika Brzezinski is at war against obesity. On Morning Joe, she is often so adamant about improving America’s eating habits that some people have dubbed her “the food Nazi.” What they don’t know is that Mika wages a personal fight against unhealthy eating habits every day, and in this book, she describes her history of food obsession and distorted body image, and her lifelong struggle to be thin. She believes it’s time we all learned to stop blaming ourselves, and each other, and look at the real culprits — the food we eat and our addiction to it.
Mika feels the only way to do this is to break through the walls of silence and shame we’ve built around obesity and food obsessions. She believes we need to talk openly about how our country became overweight, and what we can do to turn the corner and step firmly onto the path of health.
So Mika made a deal with her very close friend Diane: they would work together on this book and on their personal goals, to help Diane drop 75 pounds and to break Mika’s obsession with staying superthin. As she did in her bestseller Knowing Your Value, Mika has packed each chapter with insights from notable people in medicine, health, business, the arts, and politics. Singer Jennifer Hudson, the late writer and director Nora Ephron, TV host Gayle King, New Jersey governor Chris Christie, and many others open up to Mika about their own challenges and what works for them when it comes to food and diet. It’s time we stopped whispering the F-word (“fat”) the way we used to shun the C-word (“cancer”). This book — with its trademark Brzezinski smarts, honesty, and courage — launches us into a no-holds-barred conversation with family and friends, in schools and kitchens, in Congress and the food industry, to help us all find ways to tackle one of the biggest problems standing between us and a healthier America.
Mika Brzezinski, author of Obsessed: America’s Food Addiction — and My Own, is co-host of MSNBC’s Morning Joe, and the author of the New York Timesbestsellers All Things at Once and Knowing Your Value. She is the mother of two daughters, Emilie and Cariie, and is married to investigative journalist Jim Hoffer.
Diane Smith is an Emmy award-winning TV journalist, radio talk show host, and author. For more information visit www.dianesmithmedia.com
If you are interested in winning a copy of “Obsessed” (Continental U.S. Only!) Please do the following:
- Post a comment on my Blog below (very important!)
- Tweet out your interest in this giveaway to me at my Twitter handle @BrooklynFitChik (note the spelling!)
I will randomly pick a winner next Monday, May 13th at Noon (Eastern) and contact them directly. Good luck!!
Brooklyn Fit Chick
Follow me on Twitter: “BrooklynFitChik” (note the spelling!)
Friend me on Facebook: “Brooklyn FitChick
You Tube: BrooklynFitChick1