Book Vs Movie
“Gone With the Wind”
The Margaret Mitchell Pulitzer Prize-Winning Novel Vs the David O. Selznick Film
Fiddly dee! The Margos are feeling the vapors as we finally tackle Margaret Mitchell’s classic novel Gone With the Wind and this time, us two Yankees admit we need some help understanding the history of the book and its author. So for the first time ever–we asked another podcaster to join us for this discussion–Alicia from the Trashy Divorces podcast!
Alicia is a sassy southern bred, Atlanta-based podcaster who loves this book and has tons to say about the iconic author. The Margos found the material to be challenging (to say the least!) so we really wanted to give the fans the opportunity to hear from a Mitchell Stan.
Now the big question, which version did the Margos like better? Check out the link below to hear for yourself!
This episode is once again sponsored by Penguin Random House!
The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe by Ally Condie
Who do you become when you have nothing left to lose?
There is something Poe Blythe, the seventeen-year-old captain of the Outpost’s last mining ship, wants far more than the gold they tear from the Serpentine River.
Poe has vowed to annihilate the river raiders who robbed her of everything two years ago. But as she navigates the treacherous waters of the Serpentine and realizes there might be a traitor among her crew, she must also reckon with who she has become, who she wants to be, and the ways love can change and shape you. Even—and especially—when you think all is lost.
Ally Condie, the international bestselling author of the Matched trilogy, returns with an intricately crafted and emotionally gripping story of one young woman’s journey to move beyond the grief and anger that control her and find the inner strength to chart her own course.
The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe is one of the most anticipated YA novels of 2019 author Ally Condie will be going on a national tour to promote this Spring & Summer.
You can follow her on social media @AllyCondie @PenguinTeen #PoeBlythe
In this ep the Margos discuss:
- The life story of the incredibly brilliant (and frustrating!) Margaret Mitchell and her unlikely contribution to a large number of African American doctors and dentists just before she died.
- The history of the book and how it became a juggernaut in the publishing industry
- How David O Selznick turned the property into the number one film of all time (and how he still managed to die completely broke)
- The casting of the movie and how the African American actors were treated at the movie premier and Academy Awards
- Why the book & film are considered to be controversial
- The incredible cast including Clark Gable (Rhett Butler,) Vivien Leigh (Scarlett O’Hara,) Leslie Howard (Ashley Wilkes,) Olivia de Havilland (Melanie Hamilton,) Thomas Mitchell (Gerald O’Hara,) Barbara O’Neill (Ellen O’Hara,) Hattie McDaniel (Mammy,) Butterfly McQueen (Prissy,) George Reeves (Brent Tarleton,) Fred Crane (Stuart Tarleton,) and Oscar Polk (Pork.)
- Gone With the Wind (original trailer)
- Scarlett first meets Rhett
- Scarlett, Mammy, and Prissy get ready for the BBQ
- “I will never be hungry again!”
- “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn”
- Outro music Gone With the Wind (Theme) by Max Steiner
Book Vs. Movie podcast https://www.facebook.com/bookversusmovie/
Twitter @bookversusmovie www.bookversusmovie.com
Email us at [email protected]
Brought to you by Audible.com You can sign up for a FREE 30-day trial here http://www.audible.com/?source_code=PDTGBPD060314004R
Margo D. @BrooklynFitChik www.brooklynfitchick.com [email protected]
Margo P. @ShesNachoMama http://thechingonahomesteader.weebly.com/