What a Creep
Season 18, Episode 8
Lizzie Borden (1860-1927)
“Creepy Murder Mystery”
“Lizzie Borden took an axe. Gave her mother 40 whacks. When she saw what she had done. She gave her father 41”–Children’s rhyme late 19th century/early 20th century
Lizzie Borden was just another 32-year-old New England single woman who loved her family and was devoted to her church. On the morning of Thursday, August 4, 1892, her world turned upside down with the murder of her father and stepmother in her home. Each was hit multiple times in the head with an axe and with no witnesses, and Lizzie was the only one in the house when the crimes occurred–she was charged with their murder.
What happened next was one “trial of the centuries” the media likes to play up along with a mystery that has never been solved. Lizzie was acquitted and lived the rest of her life as a pariah.
Who were the Bordens, and why would anyone want them dead? If Lizzie didn’t do it, who did? Did her sister Emma know the truth behind the murders? Why is her crime still a source of fascination with dozens of films, books, and documentaries about this one crime? We will discuss this in today’s creepy murder mystery!
Sources for this episode:
Trigger warnings: Sex abuse, animal abuse (quick mention), and murder
Be sure to follow us on social media. But don’t follow us too closely … don’t be a creep about it!
- Subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/CreepPod @CreepPod
- Facebook: Join the private group!
- Instagram @WhatACreepPodcast
- Visit our Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/whatacreep
- Email: [email protected]
- We’ve got merch here! https://whatacreeppodcast.threadless.com/#
- Our website is www.whatacreeppodcast.com
- Claudia Gomez-Rodriguez created our logo. Follow her on Instagram @ClaudInCloud