Book Vs Movie Podcast
The 1967 classic YA novel Vs. the 1983 cult movie (vs. the “Director’s Version”)
The Margos are back and they are ready to rumble! This was actually one of the more popular episodes back in our first season but we knew we could make it sound so much better so here’s to another REDO ep!
In 1967, 17-year old S.E. Hinton published her first novel, The Outsiders which became one of the first YA novels that was a hit with both teachers and students. Susie (as she prefers to be called if you know her) wrote the novel based on experience living on the rough side of the tracks in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Her improbable rise to the top of the YA novel heap is one of publishing’s more interesting stories and the Outsiders still sells almost 500,000 copies per year!
The 1983 film directed by Francis Ford Coppola is one of the signature films for a whole generation of tweens in the 80s. Everything in this lush production is discussed in this episode from the amazing cast to the cinematography and the rather unfortunate Stevie Wonder theme song.
In this episode the Margo “Stay Gold” as they discuss :
- S.E. Hinton’s backstory and how she remains true to her roots to this day.
- The main differences between the novel and film
- How the cast was chosen and Coppola’s rehearsal process
- Behind the scenes trivia and gossip
- What the Margos really think about the theme song
- S.E. Hinton’s cameo as a nurse
- The different versions of the film available (Coppola added 22 minutes of extra scenes and added 60s music to the score in the updated DVD version)
- S.E. Hinton intro to her audiobook
- The Outsiders trailer
- Ponyboy chased around Tulsa
- Dallas (Matt Dylan) flirts with Cherry (Diane Lane)
Book Vs. Movie podcast https://www.facebook.com/bookversusmovie/
Twitter @bookversusmovie www.bookversusmovie.com
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Brought to you by Audible.com You can sign up for a FREE 30-day trial here http://www.audible.com/?source_code=PDTGBPD060314004R
Want to meet the Margos? Come join us at the Podern Love convention in New Orleans!
Margo D. @BrooklynFitChik www.brooklynfitchick.com email@example.com
Margo P. @ShesNachoMama http://thechingonahomesteader.weebly.com/