Book Vs Movie (Replay)
“Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children”
The Ransom Riggs book vs the Tim Burton film
The Margos delve into the world of fantasy in this episode discussing the Ranson Riggs’ Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children which spent 70 weeks on the New York Times bestseller list in 2012 and spawned two sequels Hollow City and Library of Souls.
Normally Margo P. doesn’t go for the scary stuff but when her preteen told her this was her favorite book of all time and though she will never see the movie (she loathes adaptations–go figure!) she thought we should give it a go.
The book is a wonderful journey of a young man exploring his grandfather’s old photographs that lead him on an amazing journey on a Welsh Island. Does that sound boring? Believe us, it is a very funny and entertaining read with incredible vintage photos telling the story and a very funny & charming lead in the character of Jacob Portman.
So how does the Tim Burton movie stack up compared to the YA novel?
In this episode we discuss:
- The excellent Audible book ready by actor Jesse Bernstein.
- Eva Green’s portrayal as Miss Peregrine.
- What scenes are different between book and movie (Jake (Asa Butterfield) meeting Emma (Ella Purnell) the first time!)
- How Miss Peregrine’s capture is handled between the two.
- The character Barron (Samuel L. Jackson)
- Switching Emma’s superpower (fire) with less character Olive (breath)
- Jake’s truncated backstory between book & film
- The fight scenes & CGI at the end of the film
- The changes in the character of Dr. Golan (Allison Janey)
- How really mean the movie dad (Chris O’Dowd) is versus the book.
Outro Music: “Bedtime Stories” by Mike Higham & Matthew Margeson (Miss Peregrine soundtrack)
Book Vs. Movie podcast https://www.facebook.com/bookversusmovie/
Find us at Apple Podcasts
Twitter @bookversusmovie www.bookversusmovie.com
Email us at [email protected]
Brought to you by Audible.com You can sign up for a FREE 30-day trial here http://www.audible.com/?source_code=PDTGBPD060314004R
Want to meet the Margos? Come join us at the Podern Love convention in New Orleans!
Margo P. @ShesNachoMama http://thechingonahomesteader.weebly.com/
Margo P. @ShesNachoMama www.shesnachomamasblog.com