Book Vs Movie Podcast (Replay)
The Margos take on the wildest adaptation of the show’s history with the sublime Frankenstein compared to the frankly ridiculous Kenneth Branagh 1994 film.
The Margos get very gothic and silly sometimes trying to wrap their heads around Mary Shelley ‘s venerated classic novel with Henry V director Kenneth Branagh’s wildly acted and directed film. How crazy is this adaptation? How about a dance sequence between a zombie Helena Bonham Carter and Robert De Niro as “the monster?”
This film is completely cray-cray but the backstory of Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley is one of the greatest tales of 19th Century literature and we definitely dive into her fascinating life story. Plus, all of the machinations that led to the publishing of her book in 1818 and the revisions in the 1831 version.
Also, we are SO lucky to have Penguin Books sponsor this episode! The Margos are thrilled to be asked to talk about author Ransom Riggs‘ newest “Miss Peregrine’s story”–A Map of Days which you can pre-order now! (It goes on sale October 2, 2018.) This is the fourth novel in the series and lead character Jacob Portman’s life in the United States is the setting for this newest adventure. Be sure to pre-order your copy today!
Also, in this episode we discuss:
- Fan theories about whether or not this is a feminist novel and writer Sady Doyle ‘s incredible fan theory about who the creature is based on!
- Kenneth Branagh’s insane adaptation (and shirtless performance)
- The different actors who played the creature over the years.
- The incredible life of Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley and the inspirations for her book
- The “Year Without a Summer”
- How truly awful the score and screenplay are by some normally talented people.
Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein TV trailer
Elizabeth and Creature “dance” sequence
Outro Music: Frankenstein by The Edgar Winter Group
Book Vs. Movie podcast https://www.facebook.com/bookversusmovie/
Find us in Apple Podcasts
Twitter @bookversusmovie www.bookversusmovie.com
Email us at [email protected]
Brought to you by Audible.com You can sign up for a FREE 30-day trial here http://www.audible.com/?source_code=PDTGBPD060314004R
Margo D. @BrooklynFitChik www.brooklynfitchick.com [email protected]
Margo P. @ShesNachoMama www.shesnachomamasblog.com