Book Vs Movie Podcast (Replay)
(Wait? That was based on a short story?)
The Margos are back with a new episode suggested to us by a listener–Brokeback Mountain. You didn’t know it was based on a short story written by Annie Proulx and appeared in the New Yorker in their October 13, 1997, issue. It won the National Magazine Award for fiction in 1998. Author Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana adapted it into the screenplay for the 2005 film directed by Ang Lee.
The film starring Jake Gyllenhaal as Jack Twist and Heath Ledger as Ennis Del Mar is now considered a masterpiece and the fact it lost the 2006 Academy Award for Best Picture to now widely reviled Crash was a huge controversy at the time.
In this episode the Margos discuss:
- The gorgeous look of the film
- The casting of the leads and how revolutionary it was at the time.
- Why author Annie Proulx finds the success of the story to be a mixed blessing
- How Jake Gyllenhaal had to go to “cowboy camp” to prepare for the part
- Trivia and behind-the-scenes insight about the making of the film
- Brokeback Mountain trailer
- “I can’t quit you” Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger
- Lurleen (Anne Hathaway) tells Ennis how Jack died
- Outro Music Brokeback Mountain theme by Gustavo Santaolalla
Promo courtesy of the Unwriteable Rant podcast
Book Vs. Movie podcast https://www.facebook.com/bookversusmovie/
Twitter @bookversusmovie www.bookversusmovie.com
Email us at [email protected]
Brought to you by Audible.com You can sign up for a FREE 30-day trial here http://www.audible.com/?source_code=PDTGBPD060314004R
Margo P. @ShesNachoMama http://thechingonahomesteader.weebly.com/