Book Vs Movie
The Iron Giant
The 1968 Science Fiction Novel Vs the 1999 Cult Classic Film
In honor of the 20th Anniversary release of The Iron Giant, the Margos decided to take a look back at the now cult-classic movie and get the details about the author of the 1968 children’s book it is based on–Ted Hughes.
The story revolves around an “Iron Man” who arrives at a small village and seems to exist on farm equipment scarps of metal. He scares the humans enough to trap him and leave him buried “alive.” Soon enough, a dragon moves to earth and demands that mankind provide him with food.
The Iron Man eventually challenges the dragon to a contest of strength.
Author Hughes (who has a rather complicated past starting with his relationship with poet Sylvia Plath) was a strong proponent for peace and the message of The Iron Man (the original title for the book) has been popular around the world for decades now.
In 1999, director Brad Bird was at the helm of the critically praised film which did not exactly set the box office on fire at the time but is now considered a classic.
So between the novel and the movie–which did we like better? Click the link at the bottom to find out.
In this ep the Margos discuss:
- Poet Laureate Ted Hughes and his very tragic life.
- The cast including Jennifer Aniston (Annie Hughes,) Harry Connick Jr. (Dean McCoppin,) Vin Diesel (The Iron Giant,) Chloris Leachman (Mrs. Tensedge,) Christopher McDonald (Kent Mansley,) John Mahoney (General Rogard,) Eli Marienthal (Hogarth Hughes,) and M. Emmet Walsh (Earl Stutz)
- The biggest differences between the novel and the animated film
- Our favorite scenes from the movie
- The Iron Giant trailer
- Kent Masley and Marv Loach (James Gammon) have a chat
- The Iron Giant saves the town
- Outro music by Michael Kamen
Join our Patreon page to help support the show! https://www.patreon.com/bookversusmovie
Book Vs. Movie podcast https://www.facebook.com/bookversusmovie/
Twitter @bookversusmovie www.bookversusmovie.com
Email us at [email protected]
Brought to you by Audible.com You can sign up for a FREE 30-day trial here http://www.audible.com/?source_code=PDTGBPD060314004R
Margo D. @BrooklynFitChik www.brooklynfitchick.com [email protected]
Margo P. @ShesNachoMama http://thechingonahomesteader.weebly.com/