Book Vs Movie
“The Shawshank Redemption” (Replay)
The Margos Celebrate the 25th Anniversary of this
If there is one thing we can say about Book Vs Movie fans–they LOVE the Stephen King eps and cannot get enough of them. In particular, we have been getting requests for The Shawshank Redemption since we launched the show and finally had the time to get it together.
The story of the bromance between Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins) and Red Redding (Morgan Freeman) is considered one of the best movies of all time and has continually been on syndicated TV since its debut on the TNT network in June 1997. (Seriously, this movie is always playing on some channel somewhere!)
Unjustly convicted for the murder of his wife and her lover Andy spends decades of his life fighting to clear his name while learning to adapt to life as a prisoner. It’s a story about friendship, survival, revenge, deception, agony, and redemption.
Originally published as a novella Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption in 1982’s Different Seasons the differences between the original story and the movie are plentiful. So which did the Margos like better? Book or Movie? Check out the link below to find out!
In this ep the Margos discuss :
- The 1982 novella from Different Seasons and how it differs from the movie
- How director Frank Darabont originally paid one dollar (!) to adapt King’s short story The Woman in the Room in 1983 and how after he wrote the screenplay for Nightmare On Elm Street 3–it gave him the confidence to take on this story.
- The incredible cast including Robbins, Freeman, Bob Gunton (Warden Norton,) William Sadler (Heywood,) Clancy Brown (Captain Hadley) Gil Bellows (Tommy,) and James Whitmore as Brooks Hatlen.
- The history behind the casting and setting of the movie
- A plethora of trivia and behind-the-scenes gossip about the much-lauded film
- Why King never cashed his $1000 check for the rights to the film!
- The Shawshank Redemption trailer
- Andy meets Red for the first time
- The “rooftop scene” between Andy and Captain Hadley
- Brooks finds out he is leaving Shawshank
- The “opera scene”
- Outro Music: Duettino–Sull’aria “Le Nozze di Figaro” By Orchester der Deutschen Oper Berlin
Book Vs. Movie podcast https://www.facebook.com/bookversusmovie/
Twitter @bookversusmovie www.bookversusmovie.com
Email us at [email protected]
Brought to you by Audible.com You can sign up for a FREE 30-day trial here http://www.audible.com/?source_code=PDTGBPD060314004R
Margo P. @ShesNachoMama http://thechingonahomesteader.weebly.com/