Book Vs Movie
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (Replay)
The Story Behind the 2008 Novel & the 2018 Movie
Are you ready for a little 1940s weepy? The Margos sure are as they talk about the novel The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society that was started by Mary Ann Shaffer who brought on her niece Annie Barrows to help her finish when she became ill. Shaffer spent some time fogged in at the airport on the island of Guernsey which is located by the English Channel.
After checking their local bookstore she found out the island was occupied by the Germans in World War 2 and she became obsessed with the idea of placing a historical fiction story based there. The novel is told in an epistolary format and features an array of intriguing characters who come together under terrible circumstances and create their own magical world.
Taking place in 1946, London-based writer Juliet Ashton is stymied on what to write after her last book was a disappointment in sales. After starting a correspondence with a group of book club members based in Guernsey she impulsively decides to visit the island and her life is upended by the power of love.
The film is from director Mike Newell and at the time of this recording, is streaming on Netflix.
So between the novel and the movie–which did we like better? Click the link at the bottom to find out.
In this ep the Margos discuss:
- The backstory of how Mary Ann Shaffer and her niece Annie Barrows collaborated to bring the novel to life.
- The true story of the German occupation of the island of Guernsey.
- The magnetic cast including Jessica Brown Findlay (Elizabeth McKenna,) Lily James (Juliet Ashton,) Tom Courtenay (Eben Ramsey,) Michiel Huisman (Dawsey Adams,) Katherine Parkinson (Isola Pribby,) Matthew Goode (Sidney Stark,) Glen Powell (Mark Reynolds,) and Penelope Wilton (Amelia Wilton.)
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society (original trailer)
- Opening Scene with Elizabeth, Eben, Isola, and Dawsey
- Dawsey explains how and why Elizabeth was captured
- Mark visits Elizabeth in Guernsey
- Outro music Dawsey’s First Letter by Alexandra Harwood
Book Vs. Movie podcast https://www.facebook.com/bookversusmovie/
Twitter @bookversusmovie www.bookversusmovie.com
Email us at [email protected]
Brought to you by Audible.com You can sign up for a FREE 30-day trial here http://www.audible.com/?source_code=PDTGBPD060314004R
Margo D. @BrooklynFitChik www.brooklynfitchick.com [email protected]
Margo P. @ShesNachoMama http://thechingonahomesteader.weebly.com/