Book Vs Movie
Stand By Me
The Margos take on another Stephen King classic with Different Seasons’ story The Body and the Rob Reiner adaptation Stand By Me
The Margos are going back to Stephen King’s 1982 Different Seasons which features four novellas with a focus on the “summer” tale “The Body.” As written in the story, four young boys from Castle Rock Maine in 1960 who go on a quest to see the deceased body of Ray Brower–a 12-year-old who was most likely hit by a train.
The boys (Gordie Lachance, Chris Chambers, Vern Tessio and Teddy Duchamp) all come from different levels of homelife abuse and/or neglect and the overnight journey gives them a chance to confront their fears of entering a new school in the coming weeks. In the meantime, they are being chased by longtime Kind villain Ace Merrill and his mean, dimwitted crew of juvenile delinquents who want to find the body first for themselves.
Rob Reiner’s 1986 adaptation is considered a modern classic featuring some amazing performances from the entire cast including Wil Wheaton, River Phoenix, Corey Feldman, Jerry O’Connell, and Kiefer Sutherland just to name a few standouts. It also managed to bring Ben E. King back into the music charts with the use of his hit song “Stand By Me.”
So between the novella and the movie, which did we like better? Click on the link below to find out!
In this ep the Margos discuss:
- The different stories from Different Seasons which were turned into films
- The process of changing the scenery and key plot points between book & movie
- Trivia about the film and life for the young actors on the set
- The cast Wil Wheaton (Gordie Lachance,) River Phoenix (Chris Chambers,) Corey Feldman (Teddy Duchamp,) Jerry O’Connell (Vern Tessio,) Kiefer Sutherland (Ace Merrill,) Casey Siemaszko (Billy Tessio,) Gary Riley (Charlie Hogan,) Bradley Gregg (Eyeball Chambers,) Bruce Kirby (Mr. Quidacioluo,) John Cusack (Dennis LaChance,) and Richard Dreyfus (The Writer.)
- Stand by Me trailer
- Gordie confronts Ace
- The “leeches” scene
- The “train” scene
- Chris talks about stealing money
- Outro music Stand By Me (Performed by Ben E. King)
Join our Patreon page to help support the show! https://www.patreon.com/bookversusmovie
Book Vs. Movie podcast https://www.facebook.com/bookversusmovie/
Twitter @bookversusmovie www.bookversusmovie.com
Email us at [email protected]
Brought to you by Audible.com You can sign up for a FREE 30-day trial here http://www.audible.com/?source_code=PDTGBPD060314004R
Margo P. @ShesNachoMama https://coloniabook.weebly.com/