What a Creep: Charles Dickens
Season 9, Episode 2
Old-Timey Author Creep
Charles Dickens is one of the most successful authors of the 19th Century who attracted a rock star-like following around the world for his dramatic readings. He is considered as close to Father Christmas as any man has ever been and was a champion of working-class people and liberal causes.
His work influenced writers for several generations including Willkie Collins, Jules Verne, Gorge Orwell, Roald Dahl, and Jonathan Nolan (screenwriter for The Dark Knight.)
He was also a massive creep to several important women in his life which is what we will focus on today.
Trigger warnings: Shitty husbands
Sources for this episode include:
- The London Telegraph (2016)
- Bates College Alumnae Interview
- The Guardian
- The Vintage News
- The Smithsonian
- The Herald News
- Charles Dickens: A Life by ClaireTomalin
Be sure to follow us on social media! But don’t follow us too closely … don’t be a creep about it!
- Subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/CreepPod @CreepPod
- Facebook: Join the private group!
- Instagram @WhatACreepPodcast
- Visit our Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/whatacreep
- Email: WhatACreepPodcast@gmail.com
- We’ve got merch here! https://whatacreeppodcast.threadless.com/#
- Our website is www.whatacreeppodcast.com
- Our logo was created by Claudia Gomez-Rodriguez follow her on Instagram @ClaudInCloud