What a Creep: Charlie Chaplin
Season 9, Episode 8
“Old Timey Hollywood Creep”
Charlie Chaplin is one of the most influential and recognizable faces in movies. The image of the Little Tramp is a part of cultural history. It’s shorthand for classic movies.
Chaplin wrote, directed, produced, edited, starred in, and composed the music for most of his movies. Six of Chaplin’s films have been selected for preservation in the National Film Registry by the United States Library of Congress: “The Immigrant,” “The Kid,” “The Gold Rush,” “City Lights,” “Modern Times,” and “The Great Dictator.”
Chaplin was also a womanizing control freak who had sex with underage girls.
Sources for this episode include:
If you want to learn more about silent movie history and Chaplin’s influence, check out the documentary, “Moguls & Movies Stars: A History of Hollywood“
Trigger warning: Adultery and statutory rape
Be sure to follow us on social media! But don’t follow us too closely … don’t be a creep about it!
- Subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/CreepPod @CreepPod
- Facebook: Join the private group!
- Instagram @WhatACreepPodcast
- Visit our Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/whatacreep
- Email: [email protected]
- We’ve got merch here! https://whatacreeppodcast.threadless.com/#
- Our website is www.whatacreeppodcast.com
- Our logo was created by Claudia Gomez-Rodriguez follow her on Instagram @ClaudInCloud