Book Vs Movie: “Father of the Bride”
The 1949 Novel Vs the 1950 Elizabeth Taylor Classic
(Okay, we mention the 90s remake as well!)
Love is in the air and the Margos are ready for romance with the book & movie Father of the Bride. Our focus is the book by Edward Streeter and the movie directed by Vincent Minelli that stars Spencer Tracy and Elizabeth Taylor. (The 90s remake with Steve Martin and Martin Short is a part of the conversation as well because–duh!)
The book & film from 1950 focus on Stanley T. Banks who is married (to wife Ellie) with three grown children when his 24-year-old daughter Kay announces her engagement to Buckley Dunstan. Buckley seems like a nice man from a good family but Kay’s parents worry about him providing for her but he soon wins them over.
The hijinks of the story happen when Stanley and Ellie Banks agree to save costs by opening up their home for the reception–for over 250 people. In the end, Stanley’s home is so crowded that he misses his chance to kiss the bride before she leaves for her honeymoon. She does manage to call him from the airport just in time. Ah, romance!
So between the book and the film–which did we prefer? Have a listen and find out!
In this ep the Margos discuss:
- The background of the author Edward Streeter
- The casting of Elizabeth Taylor, a former child star who got married for the first time at the film’s release
- The wedding traditions honored in the film
- The cast: Spencer Tracy (Stanley T. Banks,) Joan Bennett (Ellie Banks,) Elizabeth Taylor (Kay Banks,) Don Taylor (Buckley Dunstan,) Billie Burke (Doris Dunstan,) Russ Tamblyn (Tommy Banks,) and Leo G. Carroll as Mr. Missoula.
- Stanley Banks talks about how he really feels about weddings
- Father of the Bride trailer
- Stanley has a bad dream
- Clip from remake (Franck Eggerhoffer) Martin Short, Steve Martin, Kimberly Williams-Paisley & Diane Keaton
- Outro Music by Adolph Deutsch
Book Vs Movie is part of the Frolic Podcast Network. Find more podcasts you will love Frolic.media/podcasts
Join our Patreon page to help support the show! https://www.patreon.com/bookversusmovie
Book Vs. Movie podcast https://www.facebook.com/bookversusmovie/
Twitter @bookversusmovie www.bookversusmovie.com
Email us at [email protected]
Brought to you by Audible.com You can sign up for a FREE 30-day trial here http://www.audible.com/?source_code=PDTGBPD060314004R
Margo D. @BrooklynFitChik www.brooklynfitchick.com [email protected]
Margo P. @ShesNachoMama https://coloniabook.weebly.com/
Our logo was designed by Madeleine Gainey/Studio 39 Marketing Follow on Instagram @Studio39Marketing & @musicalmadeleine