Book Vs. Movie: Last Christmas
The George Michael Classic Song Vs. the 2019 Holiday Film
The Margos have covered so many Christmas-themed episodes in the past that we had to reach out and use a classic holiday song, Last Christmas, written and produced by the late great George Michael, and talk about the adorable 2019 film adaptation written by the revered Emma Thompson.
The song is one of those “earworm” ditties that you either hate or love (similar to Paul McCartney’s Wonderful Christmas Time) that several major artists have sung since its debut in 1984. It’s a holiday story about love and longing that anyone can relate to, and if you hate it, you might as well skip this episode!
Before he passed away on Christmas day in 2016 (the irony!), Michael said he would only accept Thompson as the screenwriter if it were ever made into a film. The result is a delightful mixture of wonderful acting (Emilia Clark, Henry Golding, and Michelle Yeoh,) direction by Paul Feig, a bevy of Michael’s best tunes, and gobsmacking London locations that will melt the biggest Scrooge into a puddle of holiday happiness.
Clarke plays Kate Andrich, a Yugoslavian immigrant who is having a rotten time in life. She works as an “Elf” at a year-round Christmas shop, has no place to live permanently, and is strained from her family. Eventually, she befriends Tom, a nice man who mysteriously shows up to help her learn to grow up, be more responsible, take care of her health (Kate had a heart transplant!), give back to her community working at a shelter, and finding out that her dream man is an angel who saved her life. SWOON!
Most critics don’t get it, but who cares? It’s a sweet confection! Which did we like better, the song or the movie? Listen to find out!
In this ep the Margos discuss:
- The life and career of George Michael
- The durability of the song and how hard it is to write a Christmas classic
- The plot twist of the movie
- Margo D’s attempt to “sing” on the Troubled Waters podcast
- The cast: Emilia Clarke (Kate,) Henry Golding (Tom,) Emma Thompson (Petra Andrich,) Boris Isakovic (Ivan Andrich,) Lydia Leonard (Maria Andrich,) Michelle Yeoh (Santa,) Ritu Arya (Jenna,) Jade Anouka (Alba,) Patti Lupone (customer,) and Rob Delaney as the theater director.
- Kate talks about her heart transplant to Tom
- Last Christmas original trailer
- Margo D on the Troubled Waters podcast
- Kate forgets to lock up the store
- Kate’s family arguments
- Tom drops truth bombs
- Kate finds out about Tom
- Kate at the Christmas concert
- Music by George Michael
Book Vs. Movie is part of the Frolic Podcast Network. Find more podcasts you will love Frolic.Media/podcasts
Join our Patreon page to help support the show! https://www.patreon.com/bookversusmovie
Book Vs. Movie podcast https://www.facebook.com/bookversusmovie/
Twitter @bookversusmovie www.bookversusmovie.com
Email us at [email protected]
Margo P. @ShesNachoMama https://coloniabook.weebly.com/
Our logo was designed by Madeleine Gainey/Studio 39 Marketing Follow on Instagram @Studio39Marketing & @musicalmadeleine