What a Creep
“Disco Demolition Night: July 12, 1979”
Season 20, Episode 1
Margo and Sonia put on our boogie shoes and prepare to call bull shit on all of the excuses given for “Disco Demolition Night” on Thursday, July 12, 1979, at Comiskey Park in Chicago, IL. A group of boring, racist, sexist, and homophobic idiots decided disco music had been popular for too long. For fun, Chicago shock jock Steve Dahl created a stunt to destroy LPs on the field of a White Sox & Detroit Tigers game!
Mayhem ensued due to the hyped (and hopped) up a crowd of meatheads who had decided that things like Saturday Night Fever, partner dancing, and people who were not “musicians” should have any success, much less a part of pop culture.
All of this disco fuss (which coincided with Anita Bryant’s gay bashing on the news every night) makes us realize that fighting pop culture “wars” is a sad, furious (and deeply stupid)
tale as old as time.
We have THOUGHTS about this one!
Sources for this episode
ESPN story on Disco Demolition Night
A variety of clips of local news coverage in 1979
HBO The Bee Gees: How Do You Mend a Broken Heart
Cape Symphony “How to Disco Begin?”
CNN Opinion Ad Campaigns Should be Inclusive
Fox News: Sarah Huckabee Sanders “trolls” Bud Light with beer koozies featuring “Real Women”
Art & Pop Culture: The first reporting about “disco” by Vince Aletti, Rolling Stone, September 13, 1973 http://artandpopularculture.com/Discotheque_rock_%2773:_Paaaaarty%21
Be sure to follow us on social media. But don’t follow us too closely … don’t be a creep about it!
- Subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/CreepPod @CreepPod
- Facebook: Join the private group!
- Instagram @WhatACreepPodcast
- Visit our Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/whatacreep
- Email: [email protected]
- We’ve got merch here! https://whatacreeppodcast.threadless.com/#
- Our website is www.whatacreeppodcast.com
- Our logo was created by Claudia Gomez-Rodriguez. Follow her on Instagram @ClaudInCloud