Book Vs. Movie: The Gambler
The 1978 Song & Kenny Rogers as The Gambler TV Movie
The Margos’ latest episode is all about the Kenny Rogers classic “The Gambler.” The song was written in 1976 by Don Schlitz, who was only 26 years old at the time. It took two years before Rogers made it a number 1 hit. The song’s lyrics tell the story of a chance encounter on a train between the narrator and a seasoned gambler.
The gambler imparts his wisdom about life and gambling to the narrator, offering advice including the famous lines: “You’ve got to know when to hold ’em, know when to fold ’em, know when to walk away, and know when to run. You never count your money when you’re sittin’ at the table; there’ll be time enough for countin’ when the dealin’s done.”
The song was so popular that it became the basis for several top-rated TV movies. The first one, “The Gambler” (1980), introduced the character of Brady Hawkes. In this film, Brady meets a young orphan named Billy Montana and takes him under his wing as they travel together.
In their latest episode, the Margos discuss both the song and the TV movie and share their thoughts on which they liked more between the 1978 song and the first TV movie. Give it a listen to find out!
In this ep, the Margos discuss:
- The origins of the song and the AMAZING Kenny Rogers
- Country music hits of the late 1970s and early 1980s
- TV Movie culture of the 1980s
- The cast of the 1980 film: Kenny Rogers (Brady Hawkes,) Bruce Boxleitner (Billy Montana,) Christine Belford (Eliza,) Harold Gould (Arthur Stobridge,) Clu Gulager (Rufe Bennett,) Lance LeGault (Doc Palmer,) Lee Purcell (Jennie Reed,) Ronnie Scribner (Jeremiah,) Noble Willingham (Conductor,) Bruce M. Fischer (Tabor,) and Borah Silver as Botkin.
- Kenny Rogers on The Muppet Show in 1979
- The Gambler TV trailer
- Geico Kenny Rogers Ad
- 1991 TV ad
- Grady meets Billy
- “Dear Pa” letter
- Jennie is “asked” to join Mr. Stobridge
- Rufe Bennett is a creep!
- Grady and Eliza say “goodbye.”
- Music: The First Edition “What Condition What My Condition Was In”
Book Vs. Movie is part of the Frolic Podcast Network. Find more podcasts you will love Frolic.Media/podcasts
You can find us on Facebook at Book Vs. Movie Podcast Group
Follow us on Twitter @bookversusmovie
Instagram: Book Versus Movie https://www.instagram.com/bookversusmovie/
Margo D. Twitter @BrooklynMargo
Margo D’s Blog www.brooklynfitchick.com
Margo D’s Instagram “Brooklyn Fit Chick”
Margo D’s TikTok https://www.tiktok.com/@margodonohue
You can buy your copy of Filmed in Brooklyn here!
Margo P. Twitter @ShesNachoMama
Margo P’s Instagram https://www.instagram.com/shesnachomama/
Margo P’s Blog https://coloniabook.weebly.com/
Our logo was designed by Madeleine Gainey/Studio 39 Marketing Follow on Instagram @Studio39Marketing & @musicalmadeleine