Book Vs. Movie: The Old Man and the Sea
The 1952 Short Story by “Papa” & the 1958 Spencer Tracy Film
In this episode, the Margos review Ernest Hemingway’s 1952 novella “The Old Man and the Sea” and its 1958 film adaptation featuring Spencer Tracy. The story revolves around an aging Cuban fisherman named Santiago, who embarks on a challenging battle with a massive marlin in the Gulf Stream. The novella has been adapted into several films, with the most notable being the 1958 movie directed by John Sturges. If you are curious to know which version the Margos preferred, tune in to find out!
In this ep, the Margos discuss:
- The life of both Hemingway and Tracy
- The SYMBOLISM!!!!!
- The differences between the short story and the film.
- The cast of the 1958 film: Spencer Tracy (Santiago,) Felipe Pazos Jr. (Manolin,) Harry Bellavar (Martin,) Don Diamond (cafe proprietor,) Don Blackman (Arm wrestler,) and Joey Ray as a gambler.
- Charlton Heston reading “The Old Man and the Sea”
- The Old Man and the Sea (1958 trailer)
- Sontiao fights the marlin
- Santiago fights the shark
- Charlton Heston finishes the story
- TCM Host Ben Mankiewicz talks about the 1958 movie The Old Man and the Sea.
- Music: Dimitri Tiomkin
Book Vs. Movie is part of the Frolic Podcast Network. Find more podcasts you will love Frolic.Media/podcasts
You can find us on Facebook at Book Vs. Movie Podcast Group
Follow us on Twitter @bookversusmovie
Instagram: Book Versus Movie https://www.instagram.com/bookversusmovie/
Margo D. Twitter @BrooklynMargo
Margo D’s Blog www.brooklynfitchick.com
Margo D’s Instagram “Brooklyn Fit Chick”
Margo D’s TikTok https://www.tiktok.com/@margodonohue
You can buy your copy of Filmed in Brooklyn here!
Margo P. Twitter @ShesNachoMama
Margo P’s Instagram https://www.instagram.com/shesnachomama/
Margo P’s Blog https://coloniabook.weebly.com/
Our logo was designed by Madeleine Gainey/Studio 39 Marketing Follow on Instagram @Studio39Marketing & @musicalmadeleine